Tucked or untucked? Tied or loose? Black or brown? This one or that one? Left or right? Over or under? Jacket or no jacket….maybe sweater? Ugh, it’s so hot out though!!
Indecision with what to wear (amongst many other things) is my biggest asset/flaw/major waste of time. I’m constantly asking for opinions from others, and after they tell me it “looks good,” I continue to change my clothes. 3-7 more x’s… They obviously just want me to finish getting ready because I take basically forever to get dressed when given the opportunity.
Like many women, I have the ability to accidentally wake up 45 minutes later than usual (for work) and still arrive earlier than I could have on a day I woke up on time, even early.
So this means…poor time management while getting dressed and ready? Poor dress/attire prep? Whatever – nobody even knows the difference. People who are similar to me know the difference… but the general public (ew) does not.
Point is…if you’re spending time, you may as well get it together completely.
For dressing/styling myself & others, I’m extremely honest. So if I tell you “it’s appropriate” or “it looks great,” trust. Unless you’re just uncomfortable, then change. Simple.
A Few Rules of Thumb…
1. Always keep your hair down unless it absolutely needs to go up. Even after that, take it down. Some waves in your hair look great if you can put them back in a small clip (for when you have a crease or bump in your hair).
2. Black is always slimming (for when you’re having a “fat” day). Also, people notice it less… or, even better, remember it less – so it’s great for going under the radar.
3. Don’t listen to anybody but yourself. Trust yourself. Whenever I want to wear something questionable and a friend advises against it, but I wear it anyway – I get a lot of compliments. Maybe it’s in my head, but it definitely happens.
4. Dress appropriate for occasions. I’m a major disturber of peace. Sneakers with a very dressy dress to a very divey beer bar? Perfect. Casual the crap out of an awesome dress. You can totes repurpose a dress you’d likely not wear again because of photos you are in or because you feel like don’t have a place to wear it…. YOU DO!
5. Remember to get back what you lend out! Nothing worse than going to grab the perfect blazer you need to tie your outfit together and it isn’t right there hanging in your closet. And you remember your bestie has it and she’s away for the weekend. Bummer.
6. Be willing to not be so standard. (See, basic betch). I’m def not talking about wearing “bright orange pairs of pants,” Billy Joel…but I am talking about: bold lips and bold shoes. So… “bright orange pair of lips!” ;o) If you’re thinking, “SHOULD I?!?!” Yes. Yes you should. Go for it a little bit.
7. Always go for polished over sloppy. You have plenty of time to be sloppy. In the comfort of your own home. In bed. In front of your family. When you’re 5 years old… Time and place people! It’s always better to be overdressed than under dressed. Because then you’re left feeling great about yourself instead of feeling like shit about yourself. Self-esteem boosters, duh.